Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Story Time in Paris

Just before coming to Paris I spent a day with a friend and her two little girls which included story time at the library.  This, I've found to be a good foil for my MBA classes.

Prof. French*:  "Boys and girls it's story time..."

Students: {{Silence}}
  (students chug coffee while walking in to class late)

Prof French:  "Today I will be telling you the story of Neiman Marcus"

Students: {{Silence}}  
  (continue chugging coffee and make loud conversation with each other)

Prof French: "Once upon a time there was a man named Mr. Marcus..."

At Kellogg, you read cases and are expected to come to class with in-depth insights ready to discuss.  Here, I find myself having story-time on a daily basis.  The cases (read: stories) even come with pictures...dozens of PowerPoint slides full of pictures (including some that test the Puritanical Americans in the class).  This works well for our sight-seeing adventures, but in terms of academics I miss Kellogg.  It is abundantly clear to me why an MBA isn't often valued by companies in Europe.  You could, instead, visit story time at your local library.  I most definitely will not be learning parisian in class.

* Note:  Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment